Last Sunday: The Armor of God

This past Sunday, Sojourn’s kids studied the Armor of God from Ephesians 6:10-18.  We learned:

• We are in a spiritual war.
  • God gives us spiritual armor.
  • Christ is our protection.

Below, you can see some pictures of kids at Sojourn East and bigger kids at Sojourn Midtown dressed up in the whole armor.  We had a lot of fun introducing kids to the way that our Warrior God protects us from Satan and his schemes by giving us salvation, righteousness, peace, faith, truth, and His Word.

We also used some great coloring sheets drawn by Sojourn artist Mandy Groce.  You can download them from http://ministry-to-children.com here:

There are two versions of the coloring page – one picturing a boy and the other picturing a girl. The children have the phrase “strong and courageous” written on their t-shirts. The third sheet is the pieces of the full armor of God. We had the children cut and paste those pieces to construct the final picture.

Ephesians 6:10-18 says:

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.

25 Responses to “Last Sunday: The Armor of God”

1. Sharon Bailey October 17, 2010 at 10:46 PM #

This is so moving, I can hardly wait to teach this to our 3rd graders! Thank you soooo very much. What a Blessing you are!!!!

2. Ann Topp October 23, 2010 at 1:43 PM #

Thank you for the lesson and the pics. I had an emergency with one of my teachers away and you saved the day.

Keep on soldiering for the Lord.
    Ann

3. philo aina November 15, 2010 at 7:48 PM #

Thanks, i can’t wait to use this activities. Is it possible to get the real armour.

4. Claudia February 27, 2011 at 10:33 AM #

This is so wonderful love the lesson, it has been a blessing to us at our Sunday School. Thank you so much God bless you.

5. Cynthia Mitchell-Bellephant May 1, 2011 at 4:50 AM #

thanks this is just what I need to teach my class!!!! God bless you

6. Debbie garcia May 18, 2011 at 1:38 PM #

going to teach in my cc class nest week

7. Danilo Espelico May 19, 2011 at 10:56 AM #

THANKS FOR THIS LESSON, I’m going to use it in our DVBS as we have it. God bless you more!

8. Eveth D Feria May 31, 2011 at 10:00 AM #

I thank God for this articles you’ve shared to millions of people, its a very helpful material and will really help us in our children’s ministry and the Lord will bless you more for this big help you’ve extended to us.

9. Angela Frost June 24, 2011 at 10:30 AM #

I just love this idea, we are using it this year for VBS in our small church..Where or how did you do those cute armor outfits on the kids??

10. Jared Kennedy June 24, 2011 at 2:22 PM #

@Angela I think we just found them at a Christian book store

11. amie de mesa June 29, 2011 at 8:45 PM #

I’m so happy to found this Ministry-to-Children. Thank you so much for this topic. I’m going to use it in our monthly activities for our community CFC-KIDS FOR CHRIST it very helpful and useful materials for the kids. God bless!

12. Donna Pryor June 30, 2011 at 10:59 AM #

1st to God be the Glory!!! I love the Armor of God and can’t wait to teach this to the children this summer in VBS. In this world of bullying they need to learn how to equip themselves with TRUE armor!!!

What material was used to construct the younger children’s armor?

13. Talli Sailer July 4, 2011 at 12:37 PM #

Hi! We are so excited to have found this free VBS. We are a small church just starting out with a limited budget.
    I was wondering if there was any suggested music? Thanks!
    < TS

14. Jamie Nixon October 26, 2011 at 7:12 AM #

I have seen these costumes thru ChristianBookDistributors or CBD.com. Cute!

15. Alisa Thill February 14, 2012 at 12:55 AM #

Thank you for sharing this comprehensive unit. It will be a great assett to our Learning Center. May God Bless You!

16. Lindsey Whitney May 20, 2012 at 7:07 AM #

Fun pictures. I love the “Warrior God”, reminding kids that it is God who fights for us!

Lindsey @ GrowingKidsMinistry.com

17. catherine wairimu February 12, 2013 at 4:10 PM #

I thank God for this lesson.i was believing in God for a lesson for our VBS and when i saw it i felt like my prayers were answered.thanks and God mightily bless you.

18. Beverly Norman February 19, 2013 at 9:11 PM #

Thank You so much I will use your ideal at my next class this my first time teaching VBS.

19. Esther Mathurin March 17, 2013 at 7:15 PM #

Where did you guys get the armor for the adults and kids??

• Jared Kennedy March 20, 2013 at 8:32 PM #

Just at a Christian bookstore.

20. Carolyn Walker September 12, 2013 at 2:02 AM #

I will be using the armour to teach at our youth conference. Thanks.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks:

1. Free Vacation Bible School: Armor of God VBS Curriculum - October 10, 2010

[...] another church taught about the Armor of [...]

2. Armor of God Coloring Pages - October 10, 2010

[...] lesson. As you teach about each piece,  you could have the children attach it to their picture. Click here to see how Sojourn Kids taught about the armor of [...]

3. Alisa thill | Jamesandjennif - April 3, 2012

[...] Last Sunday: The Armor of God — SojournKidsOct 5, 2010 … Alisa Thill February 14, 2012 at 12:55 AM. Thank you for sharing this comprehensive unit. It will be a great assett to our Learning Center. [...]

4. Armor of God Lessons Plans for Children (Ephesians 6) - April 24, 2013