There are five things that you must know about the children to whom you minister. These must always be the backdrop of your ministry as and ambassador of King Christ.
(1) The children you minister to were created by God to be revelation receivers. They weren’t wired to figure life out on their own. They were created to receive in an ever-expanding way the glorious revelation of Christ alone. Children need to understand God’s truth, and they were created to be utterly dependent on God’s revelation.
(2) The children you minister to are natural interpreters. Human beings do not live their lives based on facts. They live on the basis of their interpretation of the facts. They are always trying to make sense out of them. Every child you teach is a theologian and a philosopher. Every child is an archeologist who will dig through the mound of his existence to make sense of his world.
(3) The children you minister to are worshipers. Worship is your identity before it is ever an activity. What you worship will shape everything that you do in your life. When a child throws a tantrum, he is worshiping. He wants to be God. He wants the world to be about him. There will be hell to pay if his “sovereign” will is not done.
(4) The children you minister to are wired for glory. They are wired to celebrate accomplishment and purse wonder and glory. There are only two kinds of glory. There is sign glory—beautiful and wonderful things that point to God. Then, there is the glory of God. Each child seeks after one of these two kinds of glory. Self-glory (infatuation with sign glory without God) is very seductive—even for children.
(5) The children you minister to are self-focused and self-obsessed. The DNA of sin is selfishness—my wants, my needs, my feelings. I’m so busy with myself that I have no time to love anyone else. Continue Reading…